Thursday, October 25, 2007

We Don't Need No Education

D(o)r(k). - Is that you?
(gettyimages.com)

I was born intelligent but education ruined me” – A slight look at my graduation grades and you too would approve of the second half of the statement being true in my case. As for being born intelligent, with a sigh I admit that I couldn’t inherit everything from Dad after all. I sneaked my way into probably one of India’s best engineering colleges only to realize later that those sharp deserving kids were more than a handful for me.

Come to think of it, I made friends with a whiz who could solve incomprehensible probability questions in the same time that I could multiply 23 with 0 and then there was this other guy who took a couple of analytical tests for a competitive examination and then got through India’s best management college only to refuse the offer because he didn’t feel like going for it!

While I spent most of my childhood scurrying away from the “You are Prof. Sinha’s son, you ought to do better boy!” compliments after school examinations, my entire ‘feeling young’ phase of life was robbed by these geeky fellows who wreaked havoc when the grades were let out. I studied in a place where relative grading was the norm and sometimes even a good score in absolute terms didn’t make much of a difference.

With time I learnt to master the art of faking intelligence. I have always been a keen observer and the fact that I was in the company of some of the brightest young minds during the formative phase of my life, it was obvious that I would get it right some day. But deep within, I look around perplexed at the geeks who never cease to churn out new ways to keep themselves immersed in building a knowledge skill set that would one day become insurmountable.

At least 5 out of the 20 wingies* that I had at college went for higher studies. 3 of them dropped out after Masters but 2 of them are still going strong – Bloody losers!! ;).


PhD is akin to a 3-5 year celibacy vow after getting married. You are at your young and energetic best to go out and make money but you restrain yourself and learn to manage life in the scholarship offered, helping out the 50 something guide of yours and sitting back reading research papers. What I find more amusing is that their zest of life doesn’t end and they get the biggest kick when one of their papers comes out in a publication not read by even 1% of the total populace of Vatican City.

I might sound like a total idiot speaking like this despite coming from a family where my Dad and uncles all hold PhD degrees and are professors but I somehow felt more at ease experiencing, inferring and then moving on rather than reading, inferring, proposing and then making others dwell on it to create a never ending chain of scholars. Someone questioned my thinking saying that it is the second process that actually takes life forward and makes you evolve. I too feel it does but I still prefer the rush that Archimedes had when he immersed himself in that bath tub and then ran naked in the town. I am sure he wasn't reading a research paper then.

I would really love to know if there is some research or a study on what forms the primary motive for people to get into research. Is it some inquisitive zeal to learn or is it the fame and money that comes in once your idea gets going or is it simply because some people just love romancing books in a library?

When I talk to such people today, my graduate degree seems like a matriculation certificate to me. I feel just about literate and painfully useless. After grappling with issues in life and tremendous soul searching, I find reason in taking up need based education to realize my future goals but self penance and single minded devotion to something that might not eventually come off is something worth bowing down to and the feeling comes from the bottom of my heart.


Here's a message from a lot of lives ruined by education to the lucky people belonging to the other realm – “Now that education has made you intelligent, be sure to thank your stars!

*Wingies - Wingmates; Students living together in a hostel wing.

PS: A tiring day at office and losing your money due to your silliness is enough to get vitriolic. Now that I have spewed the venom, I feel purged. Thanks for bearing with me.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Major reason for going for research (in the context we know of): getting entry to the US. Second reason (one that is true for me as well): everyone else around you is doing that. Very few people actually go for higher studies because they want to. Even fewer think that they are doing something great that would change the face of the world. But one added bonus is that grad life is great fun (almost free money if you are clever enough)!

a_n_u_r_a_g said...

@anon: Thanks for this really true & practical perspective indeed! Ur comment does make me think that those belonging to the 'other' world are not different after all ;). As for the fun element, I do feel envious when I get to know from one of these guys that they are going to attend a conf in Hawaii at a beach resort.

Unknown said...

Chandra to deewana ho gaya hai lagta hai !

Unknown said...

"We learn at the fringes of what we know" ... this was one of the lines that struck me when my prof. was teaching a class recently.
If intelligence was innate, I couldn't have been here. Education may not be necessary for a few 'blessed' exceptionally creative people that I've seen here. But it definitely gives a perspective for the normal junta like me to develop, think and become more satisfied! And this has been possible only because I took up PhD studies. Why I joined this?! I had no idea of the repercussions of joining the PhD program, I just had hope of making it 'better' in life. Also, I thought that my education was not complete. Another, I highly regarded some of my uncles who were PhDs from US (They were sharp, smart, and well-settled in life!).

You know Anurag, it is a great feeling getting a paper accepted! This notion was much reinforced recently when I was on a cruise ship having good wine and enjoying live music with the best data mining brains of the world in baltimore while attending a conference. After two glasses, I quietly went out to the front of the ship and raised a toast to myself ... 'I am the king of the world!' :)

a_n_u_r_a_g said...

@Naveen: Aisa kya likh diya maine jo aapne ye soch liya?

@Saurav: "I was on a cruise ship..best data mining brains of the world in baltimore" - Disgusting company indeed! What were you discussing with them while savoring the good wine -Which vineyard did it come from and the processes it went through till it got packaged??

Anonymous said...

@saurav -- nice way to let people know that you got papers and went to hawaii or wherever and get some hits on your homepage :)

From my experience 99% of the research community is fraud just trying to get in papers by making some minute changes to existing papers (which themselves have only incremental [delta->0] changes) with the aim of increasing their paper count and visit places. Also, to show their sponsors that work is making progress. The US govt has a lot of money and invests it to get the 1% good that can come out of such research. Result: a bunch of jokers make money and visit places...

let me clarify that this attack has nothing to do with with saurav in particular...this is an attack on the research community in general who -- the more I think -- look to me like the frogs in the well.

Unknown said...

Dear anonymous friend,

Please rethink on your comment again ('99% of research community is fraud')! The above average universities in US (which I believe is greater than 1%) hire great brains of the world for research. Many students end up doing just a deltaPhD but I think that is quite normal given the fact there is an effort and a peer review involved even in that process!

And I take your critique on my boasting methodology!! (but that was a true incident that I related to my friend not intending to increase my page hits! :)

I am not sure if you have such a negative opinion about the PhD and research community because of the Indian PhD scene! Even I am disappointed with the Indian PhD scene at most places ... when housewives have nothing to do, they can get a PhD degree there!

Anonymous said...

Hey Saurav, I never said the people in research are not smart. I do agree that they are one of the smartest. But the work that they do, especially the papers part is 99% fraud. They are too smart and that is why they know how to manipulate the system and get free money.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure taking names on blogs is not advisable, but still - I know the losers who dropped out :), but about those 2 whiz - I'm sure one is Vikram, who's the other one ?

Anonymous said...

whoa whoa!! who the f*** are you...I am sure you are one of those losers who did not get a chance to drop out ... muhahaha

a_n_u_r_a_g said...

With so many anonymous people all around, its becoming difficult for me to use '@anon'.

The two whiz kids - Vikram and another one was one of our seniors, IIT-JEE 1999 AIR 4, Anurag Agarwal.

Thanks for helping me take the comment count to an all time high ;). I'll hv to churn out more stuff now it seems :)

AddThis Social Bookmarking Button

 
--- ---