Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Who Let The Dogs Out?

Your destinies are written beforehand and I was destined not to exist in the same space as dogs. True, they are considered faithful and all that but I can’t stand these canines at all. Or, maybe it’s vice versa. I have had innumerable dog chases and each of the incidents actually reinforced my belief that there is something about me that dogs don’t like. The worst thing is that my brain stops functioning as soon as I catch the sight of a dog in my vicinity and then I am at their mercy.

This is probably one fear that I have not made much attempts to overcome and would probably never do it either. All efforts to have an Alsatian stand guard at home were rebuffed as I played the emotional card and took a stand – “Either the dog or me!” The biggest joke in my family to-date is – “It’s just some previous birth spill over. He must have been a petty thief who keeps getting chased even now.”

I, however, like to believe that my fear is not baseless. I am reasonable and appreciative of the “cuteness” and “faithfulness” factor associated with these creatures but how do I wipe out from my memories those chases where I was singled out and then subjected to ridicule in full public view by these wagging tailed villains of my life? Yes, I felt singled out and have more than one reason to feel so.


I remember playing cricket in the car parking as a kid when the batsman I was batting with called for a cheeky single. Bruno – the paumerian, did not like it perhaps and it ran down the pitch to catch hold of my ankle. Strangely, it did not care to bother the other runner who crossed its path. As I lunged forward to ground my bat into the crease, Bruno appealed aloud with a woof. I turned around and in a reflex action tried to scare him away with my bat. But lo! I was face-to-face with a Sree Santh incarnation. Instead of backing out, it jumped on me. I ran around and no one came to help.

The worst thing was that the beautiful girl next door saw it all. I had to fire a diwali cracker holding it in my hands to convince her later that the dog incident was just a one-off thing that didn’t turn out the way it should have. The Bruno encounter probably set the tone for my not-so-friendly relationship with dogs.

From then on, I have had quite a few other encounters like the one where a CRPF Doberman chased me around in an empty cricket ground when I sneaked into the ground through a gate left open to catch a glimpse of the stadium. It lasted a good 45-50 seconds until the godsend CRPF jawan called out to Sheru to back out. There was no physical harm done but it scarred me for life.

It is not that I have never ever attempted to get over this fear but the results have been bad. When I try to ignore them, they simply don’t like it. I once stepped on a sleeping dog’s tail unknowingly at a temple and then it threw a tantrum. The matter was resolved only after I made some – “eeeooooo…ayyyyeee” sounds and created a commotion to make a total fool of myself in the queue to express my apologies to the street mongrel. The victor walked away while the vanquished went inside the temple with his plea to God – “Khush to bahut hogey tum aaj mera mazak banake. Kya milta hai tumhe mere se ye sab karwa ke? Ek main hi mila tha us kutte ki dum pe pair rakhwane ke liye?”

Each time I bow down to a dog, my ego takes a big blow. Talking about it here too does the same. As for why I wrote about it then, some people wanted to check out if I could be self-deprecating. I hope I am not disappointing them.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

when are we getting to read "who let the girls out" :)

a_n_u_r_a_g said...

@anon: Tht wud probably be my suicidal note. It won't be deprecating but depressing. Do you disagree?

Unknown said...

interesting, reminded me of our dog scare at pune! dont let ur ego be blown away - remember that there are others who share your feelings as well. :-)

a_n_u_r_a_g said...

@nikhil: Treading unknown streets at 2:30 in the night in an unknown city is an open invitation to dogs to chase you..and yes we all were equally scared to take the next step forward. Didn't we run for our lives as soon as the dog squad gathered strength?

Anonymous said...

Seems like your lover's father let loose a dog on you in your previous birth.

Anonymous said...

seems like a great recipe for an OSO spoof...hope to see it in your next blog...btw who is this anon1 posting such lame comments...if there was any funny aspect (or any aspect for that matter) please let me know

a_n_u_r_a_g said...

@anon2: Are u trying to imply that i am cursed to get chased by dogs in each birth i take? That's scary!

@anon3: How do i let u know if i don't know who u r? OSO Spoof is a good idea..but the problem is how do i write a spoof on a spoof?

Anonymous said...

Okay then do a spoof on Karz. The comment on anon1 was for anon1 to answer/react, actually. (how in the world would you know...that defeats the entire purpose of being anonymous...this argument is achieving a competitive lameness now). And you do know me, you just do not know the mapping ;)

Marlee said...

LMAO...u poor thing and the poor dogs...there so loveable, how can u say they're scarey? Anyway, even I was shit scared of dogs as a kid...I got one and overcame all my fears for dogs...try it!

a_n_u_r_a_g said...

@anon3: I give up on making an attempt to get the 'mapping' correct. I am happy with u visiting and commenting on the page :)

@Marlee: Dogs might not be scary.. but the chase is :(

Anonymous said...

It seems like ur tombstone too will have something like -

"Here lies the man who was chased around by dogs...he ran and ran and ran...but he cudn't hide....finally his soul - far away from them - rests in peace here" :)

Anonymous said...

@secondlastanon: Anurag is a Hindu name. Why would he want to get buried?

Anonymous said...

@secondlastanon: that was a hypothetical situation (made so that I cud say what I wanted to say). But neway...how the hell do u (or for that matter me) know why wud Anurag like to get buried. In case he decides not to do so, I wud take a printout of my comment, burn it and dump it's ashes in the ganges !!

a_n_u_r_a_g said...

Kyun jeete ji maar rahe ho tum sab mujhe?

Anonymous said...

@secondlastanon: thanks for clarifying. I was really confused and would not have been able to understand if you did not tell me that it was a hypothesis. And when you do printout and burn it make sure you cut off other people's comments before burning yours.

Milind said...

Kottara Chowki's dogs were so friendly to you ... haan ek baar shayad .... :)

AddThis Social Bookmarking Button

 
--- ---