Monday, December 10, 2007

The Cliched Love Isshhtory

Dus Kahaniyaan inspired me. I have been planning a short film with a couple of my friends for the past one year but the plan just fizzled out after we finalised the story, etc because of our other pre-occupations. That short story would probably sleep a little more so I thought of cooking up something else tonight to release that build-up within me. I am trying to write a story for others to read after a good 10 years and it might sound school boyish. I can't help it. I am trying to pick up from where I left. Here we go:


"So you broke your leg playing football? I think you should have stuck to playing cricket", she said with a smile on her face. How ‘A’ wished he had told her then that he too felt the same until he saw her cheering for the guys playing football and left cricket to fight his way to land up an extra's place in the football team. He sure would have been better off without a fractured ankle. There was still some hope that she would understand it some day.


She was supposed to play the Princess in the school drama in the Annual festival and A too took to stage acting. Though he got to play a semi nude messenger (wearing just a dhoti and that too Bapu style) whose only job was to carry messages from one king to the other and never shared the stage space with her, the fact that she was going to be around him was more than enough. A gave it his best shot but was still booed off the stage.
"You sucked big-time. I think you were better off painting those colorful land scapes", she told him in good humor. How he wished he had told her then that, that was precisely what he was doing when he got to know that she was in the play and decided to give up his position as the respected art champion in the class to play that stupid blink and you miss part. He had stooped down to abysmal levels for her and she still wasn't able to understand it.



"Everyone wants security, I would definitely marry an Engineer or a doctor," A heard her saying to one of her friends. Though his inclination was more towards Arts subjects, he opted for Science. He thought everything was falling in its place when the inevitable happened. Her Dad was transferred to some other place and then he never heard of her. Left sulking with two demons to fight, the pain of not seeing her anymore and the lifeless mathematical formulas, A still managed to slug it out. Love and its strange ways teach you the impossible.

But a love story never ends with a final twist, the unexpected rendezvous. A knew that all love stories follow a similar script and how right he was. 6 years later, he met her again at a coffee shop. It never felt as if they were meeting after a long time.

She: Hey, so what are you upto these days?
A: Working for an IT company here.

She: Engineer? I thought you would be into painting or something.
A: Even I thought so. But I did it for someone.

She: Really! Do I know her?
A: I guess so.

She: You know what, it now sounds so stupid but back in school I had a crush on you. I thought that you were pretty much the way I wanted a boy to be. But then as it turned out to be, and thankfully it did, you were quite opposite to what I felt about you. I liked cricket and you played football, everyone including me just loved your paintings but you fancied the stage somehow. Remember the “Rajkumari ka sandesh hai" dialogue?

Aha! I told you, all love stories toe the same line. He mustered enough courage to finally tell her that he did it all for her when he saw the ring on her finger. Damn the clichés!

She(showing her engagement ring): No prizes for guessing it dude. That’s from my fiance. We met at an art exhibition. One of these days I'll show you his work. It's out of the world. By the way who was the girl that you were talking of?

‘A’ hadn't lost hope. This scene too was straight out of a romantic caper. He had read this script somewhere, he felt. The third angle to his love story; he had to go. Now he just had to play the hero and sweep her off her feet. Was it improper? To hell with it, she wasn’t even married yet.

A (taking his chance): It was you!

A assumed that being a girl, she must have been a romantic movie buff who would understand what weight his three words carried. He even prepared to shed a few tears. It was much easier than getting hurt on the football field or the facing the booing on the stage for his acting. However, that heartless, devoid-of-all-emotions and tormentor of his life looked at him and then laughed her heart out.

"The boring engineer still hasn't lost his humorous touch it seems. There comes my man..," she said picking up her bag and then walked away with a friendly tap on his shoulders.

Tragedy for one, joke for another. It is probably the humor of life that makes you look or sound funny to people perhaps. You just need to learn to take it with a pinch of salt and smile it off.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kya iss kahani main bhi kutton waali kahani jaisi sacchai hai? agar hai to fir kutton ka kya dosh....tumhari life to bahut jh*** hai fir tumhe kyun ghamand hai

B said...

"He had stooped down to abysmal levels for her and she still wasn't able to understand it. "

I love Chitra Singh's this ghazal.. they have a line in there:
"kabhi toh soch ke woh shaks ki kadar tha buland,
jo bich gaya tere kadamo me, aasman ki tarah"....

Anonymous said...

Nice and simple short story that leaves one wondering so you have it in you to try writing more of this kind of stuff.

Now some tea time talk, the kind that has sprung a new prolific profession of critics who do the super reviews! (I am just pretending to be one sitting on the pot in the bathroom!)

A is a big time loser in the script. Though talented, and worthy of being portrayed by Shah Rukh Khan like charismatic character, he doesn't have it in him!

One could argue that he never knew what he wanted to do (which he should have known) and followed the trails of his heart. Then the movie should continue ... he should take up painting again! And hope! The point is that he wasn't living in reality at all!

I don't know what to say for the girl ... you have any thoughts as a writer? Because of this stupid guy, she also couldn't get his love (She might have really loved him but wasn't sure enough about him to accept him!).

Bring me this man, he needs to be taught a harsh lesson and repent more! :)

-s

a_n_u_r_a_g said...

@anon: Some Ravi Kishen fan ;). Yes, my life is froth with canine dangers but I really don't have it in me to drastically change things abt me for someone even if I want to. Was it the initial 'A' tht made u think it was me?

@red soul: Thoughtful lines. Listening to sher-o-shayari, I am reminded of my incompetency in remembering couplets. My recitation teacher in school would vouch for tht :)

@s: You got it spot on. I always felt that Devdas was a loser (coincidentally SRK played him!). I wanted to bring out someone similar but with no boozing or crying.

As for the girl, she just happened to be the subject of the whole story without her knowing anything abt it. We all have crushes and then we outgrow them, she too did the same. I never thought of making her fall in love with him. I was hell bent on them not getting together at any cost (Me, the villianious contriver :D)

"Bring me this man, he needs to be taught a harsh lesson and repent more! :)" - You, the villianious contriver

AddThis Social Bookmarking Button

 
--- ---